Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Paradise

                The roaring, everlasting waves clash with the resistant sand. The shells, a neutral party are constantly being taken by both sides. Seabirds duck down like airplanes touching down only to lift off again once they accomplished their goal. Tourists are everywhere, in the water splashing around and against the scorching sand, reeking of cheap sunblock. Assorted beach towels and umbrellas litter the beach, adding in every color of the rainbow. Children run, laughing and throwing sand while parents carefully track their kid’s location. The sun gives off more heat today than any other day we’ve been here. The water’s icy chill is now a refresher and the dry, thirsty sand is to be avoided.
                Exhilaration floods through me as I jog into the forceful waves. Blonde hair turns brown as water and sand inhabit my hair. A used to be damp, multicolored swimsuit became soaked and hanged loosely. My sister’s shriek of excitement and fear rushes to my ear as I watch her take on a massive wave. She lost and was pulled underwater. As she ran to receive as hot towel, she batted at her eyes and struggled to reach my family’s location.
                Hawaii was a dream. Every day there was something different to do and I found myself to be making myself at home in this island of paradise. Throughout the week, we went snorkeling, swimming, eating shopping, and accomplishing all of the tourist occasions with my cousins. Today, at the beach, was our last day and we intended to make the most of it.
                “Rachel, Rachel,” my younger sister, Sammy, shouted. “Where are you?” She was scanning the ocean, trying to find where she had left.
                “Over here,” I waved my arms frantically and her face lit up in recognition. She ran and hopped over, evading being knocked down yet again.
                Once she reached me, we continued to swim for a while as sunlight slowly bled out. We crashed on top of water and giggled as the other looked like a fool. Later, we reached the time of dinner and walked reluctantly back to the welcoming hotel. Starving, we changed quickly and efficiently. I showered and dressed up nicely with a dress.
                We ate at a fancy restaurant serving seafood and assorted expensive foods. I enjoyed the meal, but not as much as my sister did. She loved seafood immensely. After begging my parents repeatedly, Sammy and I convinced our parents to go on a night walk. We planned to collect shells and search for crabs.
                “Remember; only take the shells you really want. We can’t take all of them on the plane,” my mother warned. Being young at the time, I nodded eagerly. However, I still anticipated collecting a plentiful supply of seashells.
                We proceeded the dinner with the usual small talk. “I liked Hawaii very much,” Sammy explained. I nodded and continued her thought.
                “Sometime we should come back.” I added, hopeful of another guaranteed visit.
                “Maybe,” was all my mother said while my dad looked rather doubtful. This, nevertheless did not kill my light mood.
                The check was paid for, we skipped dessert and drove in our black rental car. The sleek black carpet in the car was now turned to a black and white dotted color from all the sand brought into it. We arrived at the hotel, somewhat exhausted, but adrenaline still rushing. We rushed up, to only proceed down twenty minutes later, all equipped for our beach walk.
                The moon had risen and taken the place of the sun, lighting our way. Samantha and I sprinted ahead, collecting every shell in sight. We decided to focus on the now, avoiding the fact that tomorrow we would have to leave our little paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment